Monday, August 01, 2005

A week-end well spent

This week-end was great. Friday started with a confirmation of full-time job and ended with a great dinner in Downtown San Diego. Sadaf, the Persian restaurant served great kababs and excellent white wine and with the company of close friends; it was just parfait.

On Saturday, went to watch Acura Classic Tennis tournament at Carlsbad with my roomies. Having an Acura helped - free Parking.



The first match that we watched involved Shikha Uberoi - an Indian American who decided to play for India. It was a keenly fought match which she won in three sets. The sizeable Indian section of the crowd - mostly of Electronics/Computer Engineers, vociferously supported her. Sania Mirza needed not much support as she easily defeated her opponent losing only two games. Her ground strokes were accurate and powerful.



The day was great, so we went to beach in the evening and then for another good dinner at California Pizza Kitchen - one of the best place for Pizzas. Came home and finished reading Angels and Demons till 6:30 a.m. The book is ok, may be because one tends to compare it with Da Vinci code. Slept for three hours of Sunday morning, and then went to Torre Pines for hiking. There were three-four trails along the beach which were great. Hiked for around five hours and then went to our friend's home who has bought a 65" flat TV to watch Bunty aur Bubbly. Okish movie. Not so great.

I had simulation for my thesis work running on my laptop throughout the weekend - so there was no guilty feeling while enjoying. Got the expected results,too.

Why did I write this? I actually don't like blogging routine events. I don't consider my life so significant or interesting to write about it in detail. For the same reason, I gave up writing daily diary which I started when I was 11-12. But this week-end was different. I recollect my boring weekends of first two years in US, when we did not have car or internet connection/TV at home or enough money/information to go visit places. The next year was worse, when at least one week-end per month was spent at job to meet deadlines and rest of them doing chores and feeling monday blues. This break from work is refreshing to say the least. Somerset Maugham once defined Ideal life as - Good friends, Good food and a sleepy conscience. Well,it was not exactly that way but ideal for me nonetheless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Marathi plays one weekend, hiking next and now Tennis. Nice!

Sudhamshu said...

COOOL! While reading in the papers about the Acura classic, i did think about you. To know that you were spectator makes it an unbelievable feeling.
I am hoping that Sania wins her next match too as she might enter the Top 50 club if she does.
Trekking again! Becoming a sort adventure freak, are you?
I loved the ambigrams in Angels & Demons. otherwise, it was the same treasure hunt as in davinci code with more jabs at christianity!.

I agree with you about the journal thing. I tried very hard to refrain from making my blog a journal too, but i dont have many topics to deal with, so i sensationalise every detail that happens in my boring Life :).

OH I forgot the main thing. Congratulations on getting a permanent job at Qualcomm!

Nandan said...

Thanks Sudhu, well I am planning to go tomorrow as well to watch her match against Akiko Morigami. Unfortunately missed her match against Petrova today.